Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Waning Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Sunny and mild

I’m returning to the world of the living, slowly. Monday was bad. I couldn’t sit — it was as though all more core muscles just quit on me. I could stand or lie down, but none of the middle stuff, and every time I coughed, it got worse, and none of the cough remedies did a damned thing. My insurance isn’t finished being sorted — not my fault, the state is still fussing with the paperwork — so it’s not like I have many choices in care, since we live in a country where healthcare is non-existent for any but the rich, and the Republican politicians are determined to keep it that way and keep taking their payoffs. And there’s nothing they could do anyway – they’d put me through a bunch of tests and then say “I dunno” and give me something that wouldn’t work anyway and charge thousands of dollars I don’t have for it. You can’t use antibiotics on a cold, and if my back wasn’t in such bad shape, I’d just be snuffly and miserable for a few days.

We called an acupuncturist, who suggested that I come in early, early on Tuesday morning. I had a bad night Monday, and practically had to be winched in and out of the car, but we made it. Turns out this was the acupuncturist my acupuncturist suggested I track down AND the one a new friend on the Cape had suggested. It just happened to be the first number we called, and we hit pay dirt.

Anyway, I was there before 8 AM on Tuesday. He’s very gentle, very kind, and he works in the same way my acupuncturist back in NY does. He uses the small, Japanese needles like I’m used to, and, while he doesn’t use Moxa, he uses a heat lamp. I did the best impression of a porcupine EVER for about an hour, and then I nearly hopped off the table and did a dance. My back was still a little sore, but I had movement, and, even when I coughed, the cough moved THROUGH the back, instead of seizing in it, and nearly causing me to pass out. Since we speak the same healing language, I could be very specific on how anything felt at any given moment, and he confirmed what every previous person who has ever worked on me told me — one can instantly see the effect as soon as the needle is in. The energy line becomes visible to the naked eye (which happens, according to this guy, in less than 10% of patients) and each point then informs the next one. It allows for much more precise treatment, because the body gives instant feedback. And his pricing is absolutely fair and reasonable.

Stopped at the health food store to get a few more things (I’d stocked up on Sunday and forgotten the slippery elm, gosh darn it), came home, took a nap to let the treatment set, and, when I woke up, I was about 97% mobile.

I caught up on some stuff, spent time with my students, did some admin, read a lovely little garden book, and started planning for yard work. Of course, then we get news that we could get up to a foot of snow on Friday — not my idea of an April Fool’s joke!

Monday night into Tuesday, I had a bizarre set of dreams that linked a couple of set of dreams I thought were entirely separate, but, according to this set of dreams, are actually connected, and connected to the workshop I’m taking. Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense to me, either, although at 3AM, it seemed perfectly logical.

The cough came back overnight with a vengeance, so I’m sore and uncomfortable this morning. I did my stretches, I used the eucalyptus tablets in the shower to do aromatherapy steam, and I’ll use the malachite stone later, too. I used the lapis on Monday on my throat, and I can now speak again and actually be heard, so that’s a good thing, and I used the malachite on the really sore points on my back on Monday to make them release (until the next fit of coughing). Malachite is tricky, because it’s easy to misuse, and there’s a certain level of toxicity to it if it’s misused. I’d only used it on swellings and wounds before, so I was pleasantly surprised when it helped here.

I’ve got a lot to do today — I may have to let the play go, I don’t think I can sit up long enough to do it. I also have to contact my publisher. Yet again, we’re two days before a deadline and I haven’t heard a word from my editor. Even if I heard back today, I can’t turn around a novel in two days, and the contracted deadline is April 1. This is supposed to be for the second round of revisions, and I haven’t even heard boo about the first. When I asked at the earlier deadline, I was scolded.

I have a follow up appointment next week (cancelled the other appointment I’d made at the other place). There’s a PT place down the street with a good reputation — I may go in and see if I can book 3 or 4 sessions so we can come up with a program for core and back strengthening. I’d rather go to a PT place than to a yoga teacher I don’t know, who may not have the anatomical training necessary for something this specific.

I’d love to just lie down and let the world go by, but the back won’t heal itself, so I’ve got to be active, while not trying to do too much too fast.

And I’ve got to the garbage to the dump — we’re full up in the bins and the recycling.


Published in: on March 30, 2011 at 8:04 am  Comments (4)  
Tags: , ,


  1. The body is telling you what it needs – rest. Yep, the play will wait.

    Had that same hacking cough myself last night. I can’t wait to feel better.

    • The Ricola coughdrops with honey, lemon & echinecea are helping, and then the slippery elm layered over that.

  2. SO glad you are feeling better! WHEW!!!

    Hopefully soon you’ll be right as rain!

  3. I was very worried. I’m glad to hear you’re feeling a bit better. Please rest and take care of yourself!

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: