Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thursday, February 24, 2011
Waning Moon
Saturn REtrograde
Sunny and cold

Yesterday was a DAY, let me tell you.

It started just fine; usual morning routine, writing, etc. I started adding the additional scenes into POWER OF WORDS to integrate the new antagonist.

The guy from the water dept. was here promptly at ten a.m. and he had the meter installed and everything done within 30 minutes.

I love how everyone here shows up on time, gets the job done, no muss, no fuss.

Unfortunately, a few hours later, the CO detectors started going nuts. First they beeped once, then occasionally, three times. According to the book, they only beep once or FOUR times repeatedly if there’s a problem. The one on the main floor hallway was the culprit. I changed the batteries three times, but it didn’t help. I took the digital reader and had a very low level reading. I called Kidde and they were puzzled. They’re sending me a replacement. In the meantime, I took out the batteries and set this one aside so it would shut the hell up.

Then the CO detector outside my bedroom started randomly chirping. I changed the batteries in that (again) and it didn’t help much.

I drove down to the fire station and asked what I was supposed to do. They pulled up the record from their last visit on this issue, and said they’d send someone. I drove home and he drove up about a minute later. Fortunately, not with all the trucks and the brouhaha this time, just one guy with a really expensive, sensitive reader. We walked the whole house, especially around the gas furnace and stove, and up in my room. His meter read 0. He thinks it’s a battery issue, although he agrees it’s weird that they would ALL have issues and ALL suddenly be defective. He said sometimes, if the batteries are sitting on the shelf for too long, they don’t work properly in the detectors.

So, he left, I felt a little better, but then the upstairs detector AND the basement detector (which had been fine until we tested it) started chirping. I went out and got more batteries. Changed them again. The upstairs detector complained about a cold, new battery for an hour or two, then ran a few test cycles again and settled down, all happy and blinking green battery light.

I had to take the digital reader outside and reset it, so we could monitor if the reading went back from 0 to 12. Re-setting that one is, to say the least, noisy, and it set off the Hounds of the Baskervilles, and the rest of the many dogs in the neighborhood soon took up the tune, so not only was there chirping, there was howling.

My nerves were totally shot by this point.

Those two basement detectors were happy for a few hours, but then something started chirping in the basement AGAIN. I took the batteries out of the CO detector, and then discovered it was the smoke alarm chirping –but this time, because it decided it wanted a new battery, too.

But I’m out of batteries.

I put the batteries back in the CO detector, which was now happy (after it ran itself through its noisy test cycle again), and took the battery out of that smoke detector. I will try another one in there temporarily, until i can get a really fresh battery for it — since it’s near the gas furnace, water heater and dryer, I really want it armed all the time. So three of the four CO detectors are back in business, with one more on the way, but only one of the three smoke detectors is working. I’ll have two working detectors by later this morning, but the third one has to be replaced.

This is a small house, but at least we’re protected.

Now, I always change the batteries on these devices on the Equinoxes in spring and fall. We didn’t live here during the Fall Equinox, but the owner had put new batteries in to everything before we moved in. For whatever reason, they didn’t last the full six months. The Fire Dept. guy said sometimes the battery on his CO detector has to be changed every two weeks.

I tried to find a service place that would come out and take a look at everything. Turns out that the places that service these types of alarms only do calls like that if you’ve hired them to hardwire the whole house and pay them monthly to monitor the equipment. These small devices from the hardware store? No one’s interested.

In and around all of this, I managed to finish, write up, and send off the assignment for Confidential Job #1.

Read an urban fantasy which I mostly enjoyed. The premise is clever, the dialogue and action well done, the writing is crisp and clean, one of the unusual secondary characters was my favorite, the flashes of humor were so good I laughed out loud (it’s organic to character and situation), and the supporting cast is great. I wish the antagonists had been more well-developed (they were two dimensional and cliched,and we didn’t get to know them well enough to care WHY they were antagonists), I got ahead of the story a little too quickly sometimes and felt like I was waiting for the protagonists to catch up(I shouldn’t be 200 pages ahead of the characters), and the situation with the primary lovers at the end didn’t ring quite true with me (a little too blame-game on the guy’s part, which sends up huge red flags for me), but that may be part of the set-up in the series for future arcs, and I was willing to roll with it and see where it goes in the next book. There were a couple of points where I felt character development was sacrificed in order to put in yet another sex scene, and it felt a little forced. But I stayed up until 1 AM to finish it, which is what a writer always hopes will happen with a reader! 😉

Up early this morning, trying to get some work done. Got a phone call at 7 AM from the neighbor where my mom is working — she saw a shady looking character poking around the garage and my mom wasn’t answering her phone, so she was worried. Turned out it was a legitimate pick up. In CT, no one ever makes an appointment — they just show up whenever and open the door and do whatever, which drives me nuts. But the point is that someone was looking out for my mom’s well-being, and that it turned out to be something simple.

Barely get off the phone and I hear an alarm go off and go off and go off outside somewhere. Pulled on boots and coats and the rest, grabbed the keys, and tried to figure out what the hell was going on and if I needed to call someone. It may have been down the road where they’re dismantling the water tower (it’s almost all gone). I don’t know — it stopped by the time I reached the end of the lane, and there aren’t any sirens going, so I figure it’s nothing major.

So much for living the quiet life, right?

I’ve got a lot to get done today, and my back is killing me. Can’t wait to see the acupuncturist tomorrow.

Hopefully, I can get back to the page, although I’d really rather just to back to bed.

I’m giving myself Sunday completely OFF.


Published in: on February 24, 2011 at 8:09 am  Comments (3)  
Tags: , , ,


  1. When you Tweeted, I never thought tha all the batteries could have come from the same pack, so of course they’d all have the same shelf life. It’s a nuisance, but at least you seem to have sorted it now. It’s a shame the day of the decent water meter man had to be spoiled, really.

  2. Yikes! What a day! Hopefully today will be more peaceful for you.

  3. WOW. What a day! You sooooo are going to have a great one tomorrow!


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: